The Module 5 Background materials discussed the importance and process of strategy implementation. Four different organizational components were shown to be crucial to successful implementation. With this information, we are now ready to begin completion of the final step of strategic planning—that of strategy implementation and strategy control.
Note: Throughout this course, you should complete the SLP before you undertake the Case analysis. Before you begin the SLP, read the Background materials thoroughly.
Refer to the required and optional reading on strategy implementation, the theme for Module 5.
Session Long Project
In this module, we will be completing our strategic toolkit by researching sources of information about these components as they relate specifically to the Kraft Foods Group.
Your assignment is to find information about the following organizational components discussed in this module as they relate specifically to the Kraft Foods Group. Do your best not to speculate but to find factual information concerning the topical areas below. The following list of questions may help you focus your search (source: Obtaining information about organizational components critical to implementation [adapted from Aaker, D.A. (2001) Developing Business Strategies. Wiley]):
- What is the organization's structure? How decentralized or centralized is it?
- What are the lines of authority and communication?
- What are the roles of teams, committees, and task forces?
- How are budgets set?
- How is planning done?
- What measures are used to evaluate performance?
- What are the skills, experience, and knowledge of the firm's employees?
- What is their depth and quality?
- What are their attitudes about the company and their jobs?
- What are the company's values and are they widely shared and accepted by employees?
- What are the key norms of behavior?
- What are some significant symbols?
- What is the dominant management style?
- How is conflict resolved?
Keys to the Assignment
- Step One: Review the questions above and do some research to see where you could find answers to them. You may not be able to answer all of the questions, but try to find at least one source per component that addresses most of its characteristics.
- Step Two: Create a 3- to 4-page list of sources and indicate what information each one provides for each component. Evaluate each source in terms of its objectivity, reliability, and truthfulness.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Your paper will be evaluated using the following five (5) criteria:
- Assignment-Driven Criteria (Precision and Breadth): Does the paper fully address all Keys to the Assignment? Are the concepts behind the Keys to the Assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
- Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking and Depth): Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
- Business Writing (Clarity and Organization): Is the paper well written (clear, developed logically, and well organized)? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included in all papers? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding to the Keys to the Assignment, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
- Effective Use of Information (Information Literacy and References): Does the paper demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used in paper provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
- Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper end references and in-text citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all end references been included within the body of the paper as in-text citations?
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||12/21/2014 12:00 am