Diversity in the Workplace
Workplace diversity is a people issue, focused on the differences and similarities that people bring to an organization. It is usually defined broadly to include dimensions beyond those specified legally in equal opportunity and affirmative action non-discrimination statutes. Diversity is often interpreted to include dimensions which influence the identities and perspectives that people bring, such as profession, education, parental status and geographic location.
As a concept, diversity is considered to be inclusive of everyone. In many ways, diversity initiatives complement non-discrimination compliance programs by creating the workplace environment and organizational culture for making differences work. Diversity is about learning from others who are not the same, about dignity and respect for all, and about creating workplace environments and practices that encourage learning from others and capture the advantage of diverse perspectives.
This project will utilize the student’s research acumen using research and the discussion of Diversity Chapter 3 in the textbook.
Once completed, it will add value to your electronic portfolio by demonstrating
- Your ability to research organizations’ position on diversity, and
- Create a summary and analysis of workplace diversity
DIVERSITY PAPER GUIDELINES
Identify three (3) organizations highlighted at the website: www.diversityinc.com discussing their position on diversity and analyzing their expressed effectiveness of their position diversity.
- Introduction / thesis statement to your paper
- Discussion of three separate companies and their position on diversity. Address and discuss the following questions in your paper.
- Does the company have a statement of diversity? What specific issues does it include?
- How do they address workforce composition issues such as those discussed in Chapter 3 of your textbook?
- Other workplace diversity issues?
- Conclusion – developed paragraph tying your main points together.
The paper should be 3 pages in length. All points above must be discussed and completed in the paper for credit.
- A Works Cited Page must be included in proper MLA format.
- Once you have submitted the paper and received a grade from your Professor, you will then upload the project to your LiveText electronic portfolio.
- You can submit your reflections as a Word document OR you can type your response directly into the LiveText application.
- You will then prepare your response to reflection questions.
The reflection response is one-page in length and respond to the following:
- Choose one of the three organizations you discussed in your paper
- What benefit does their position on diversity bring to their branding?
- Consider why or why you would not want to work for this company.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||10/25/2014 6 PM