In January 2013, Lance Armstrong confessed to using performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) while competing and winning the Tour de France cycling competition over seven years. He has been stripped of his titles and banned from the sport for life.
One of the drugs he has confessed to using is Erythropoietin (EPO), a natural occuring hormone used by the medical community to treat a number of health conditions.
Your task is to thoroughly research EPO and its use as a performance enhancing drug by athletes and write an opinion paper based on your findings.
Things to consider when researching and writing your paper:
- What EPO is, how it works in the body and how the body rids itself of this hormone.
- How does the use of EPO use enhance an athlete's performance?
- What are the possible risks (if any) associated with EPO use?
- What is the United States Anti-Doping Agency's (USADA) stance on the use of EPO?
- In your opinion, what are some of the negative social and economic impacts associated with the use of PEDs by professional athletes?
- Why would athletes risk the type of negative consequences experienced by Lance Armstrong? In your opinion is it worth it?
Below are a couple of links to sites that may help you in organizing your opinion paper. If you have any questions, please contact your teacher.
- Writing a Science Paper
- Writing an Opinion Essay