A. Read the poem "In an Artists Studio" by Christina Rossetti and "Girl Powdering her Neck" by Cathy Song.
B. Answer the following questions:
1) Christina Rossetti's poem is known to be a reflection of how women were perceived during the Victorian era. What kind of perception do you believe men had of women during that time? How does her poem convey the message of inequality between men and women?
2) In the Cathy Song's poem, what is the young women in the poem transforming herself into? Which culture are her actions a reflection of? Do you feel as the reader that this young woman may be opressing herself through the use of makeup and costume? Explain.
3) Define the theme of both poems and then list three symbols from each poem and describe the significance of the symbolism to the theme .
4) What kind of tone is used in both of these poems? Do you feel liberated as the reader or confined? (ex:look at the portrayal of the female characters).
5) Read the last three lines of Cathy Songs poem, what is she trying to say? (hint: you may have to search to find what chrysanthemums are a symbol of to answer this question).
6) What kind of relationship does the man have with the woman he is painting in Christina Rossetti's poem? Why does he refer to her as "A saint an angel" (Rossetti 7)?
7) Choose two terms from your definition graph that you completed and try to find an example from both poems which supports the terms you selected from the list. For example, if you choose alliteration as one of the terms from your chart, find an example from both poems that shows the use of alliteration.
C. Now that you have read both of the poems, I want you to write an essay outline based on both. You can focus on theme, symbolism, tone, mood or whatever you would like to focus on for both. Your outline must contain a thesis statement (which is clear, concise and to the point), and a point form outline of at least three points you would write about in your essay to prove your thesis. Take your time on this portion of the assignment as you want the three main points for your essay to match your thesis and vice versa. Please be sure to compare and contrast both poems in this outline.
PLEASE WRITE THE ANSWERS AND PARAGRAPH IN SIMPLER ENGLIHS BECAUSE MY ENGLIHS IS NOT VERY GOOD!!!
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||03/09/2013 09:00 pm