Bob has half of a treasure map, which indicates that the treasure is buried in the
desert 2x +6 paces from Castle Rock. Vanessa has the other half of the map. Her half indicates that to find the north, and then walk 2x + 4 paces to the east. If they share their information, then they can find x and save a
lot of digging. What is x?
- Along with factoring, this problem also requires the use of the Pythagorean Theorem to solve it.
- On your scratch paper, draw a diagram which includes the location of Castle Rock and the dimensions of a triangle with the given number of paces. Seeing the relationship of the sides and where the right angle is will help you know how to apply the Theorem. You may include the diagram in your paper but are not required to do so.
- Write the equation first by inserting the given binomials into the Pythagorean Theorem. Once you have your equation written, solve it using the methods from section 5.6 of Elementary and Intermediate Algebra. Show all steps and explain what you are doing as you go.
- Write a two- to three-page paper that is formatted in APA style. Be concise in your reasoning. In the body of your essay, do the following:
- Demonstrate your solution to the above problem, making sure to include all mathematical work and an explanation for each step.
- Explain which solution to the equation is the best solution and why it is the best solution. How many steps is the map from Castle Rock?
- Incorporate the following four math vocabulary words into your writing. Use bold font to emphasize these words in your writing (Do not write definitions for the words; use them appropriately in sentences describing your math work):
- Zero factor
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Compound equation
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||12/06/2013 12:00 pm